About Me

Who hasn't dreamed of taking over the world? And who hasn't heard the phrase, "follow your dreams" before? Put those two together, and you're left with the inevitable. Now, you may be thinking I'm crazy to post my secret blueprints and progress updates online, and that may be true. On the other hand, what's an Evil Overlord without her secret, yet oddly accessible, Lair?

Thursday, November 18, 2010

A Modest Proposal

Hokay. So Project Save the Emo Kids is progressing, mostly smoothly. I love the footage I have, I just wish I would have found time to take more of it. That is one of those things that happens when many people are busy, I suppose.

Actually, in a very roundabout way, that reminds me of Thanksgiving. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the holiday, to be honest with you. When I am Ruler of the world I will have to give serious thought to what to do about it. Here are the things that are awesome about it:

1. Having the time off to actually see family and friends. When I was little, I thought Thanksgiving was basically all about the pie, but now that I am beginning to understand the whole being-an-adult-and-having-a-busy-schedule thing, I can definitely get behind a few federally sanctioned free days. Especially after we switch off Daylight Savings, so you get the Seasonal Affective Disorder kicking in. You need family time.

2. Pie.

There are, however, some key drawbacks as well:

1. I don't entirely understand why turkey. Turkey is not necessarily inherently delicious. There is a reason a common compliment to chefs on Thanksgiving turkeys is "it's not dry." We expect it to be dry. Don't get me wrong--I will eat as much turkey as the next person, and as happily. I can understand that for some people, preparing a juicy turkey is a way of proving that they are awesome cooks. I just wonder why the days after Thanksgiving are supposed to be filled with turkey casserole and reheated potatoes. Wouldn't it make more sense to forgo the unwieldy stuff and keep the good things, like the pie?

2. It makes me sad that one person needs to spend all day cooking, rather than enjoying the quality people time I mentioned in point one.

3. The historical connection to the Pilgrims has long been tainted by the fact that white people pretty much wiped out the Native Americans they were thanking in subsequent years.

When I rule the world, I would like to keep some form of November celebration, but maybe without the compulsion to eat too much, and with a more global theme. Considering that NaNoWriMo covers dozens of countries at this point, and is in November, and that your Fearless Leader has a soft spot for novelists, what would you say to a meal of something yummy, pie, and congratulations to the hardworking writers in your life? 

2 comments:

  1. Hell yes, I say!

    But, also, you've been missing out on some supreme turkey awesomeness. One year we had three turkeys, each made a different way. One was Italian, one was some tomatoey something or other, and the other was also awesome but I don't know how they made it. Another year we had beer turkey. You shove a full and opened can of beer in the turkey and then grill it. Anyway, my point is, that there is more to a fantastic Thanksgiving turkey than "not dry".

    And, with that, if you are making three turkeys you don't do it alone. You spend the day cooking with family (of which I have an abundance), then eating with family, then napping with family.

    Lastly, have you ever had potato cakes? Because, I sometimes make mashed taters for dinner just to fry up a potato cake. (Yes unhealthy but delicious.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you rule the world will you really still want to save the Emo Kids?

    ReplyDelete